3492-11 Dental Therapist
Examines and treats ailments of the teeth and gums, mainly among pre-school and primary school age children, under the supervision of dentists.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Diploma or higher qualification
and at least 3 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience
is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing
may be required.
- carries out oral examinations and checks teeth and gums for signs of decay and disease
- provides educational programs to motivate children, parents and the community in matters relating to oral health
- cleans calcareous deposits and stains from teeth and the gum margins using specialised dental equipment
- applies fluorides and other cavity preventing agents to arrest dental decay
- applies rubber dams and temporary restorations
- extracts teeth where necessary
- may conduct dental health clinics for community groups to augment local or infrequent dental practice
- may perform dental radiography
- may administer local anaesthesia and analgesics