3421-17 Disabilities Services Officer
Works in a range of adult service units which provide education and community access to people with intellectual, physical, social and emotional disabilities.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Diploma or higher qualification
and at least 3 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience
is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing
may be required.
- assesses client training needs and plans, develops, implements and evaluates education and training programs
- liaises with community groups, parents and residential workers in the development of training programs for community orientation, independent living skills, daily living activities, literacy and numeracy, communication and vocational training
- liaises with employers and employment agencies to place clients in jobs and provide intensive on-the-job training and continuing monitoring in competitive or integrated supported employment programs
- may establish recreation and support networks and provide recreation and community orientation training for their clients
- may negotiate work contracts, manage the business aspects of the operation and provide occupational training and on-going support in segregated supported employment programs